As a (read:an aspiring) minimalist, I like to make sure that all of my items are high quality. However, high quality doesn’t have to mean high-end. There are some things that you can find at drugstores or even Walmart that will do the trick. Here is a quick list of some items I’m thinking of super quick, and whether they are worth dishing out a bit more $$$…
- Skincare: SPLUGE. Your skin is the base of all things beauty, and you want your skin to remain in it’s best condition. Drugstore skincare is often full of chemicals that do nothing for the skin. Just because your face feels nice doesn’t mean the product is actually improving the skin. This includes face sunscreen too! I love Mario Badescu and Khiels because their products have a very short ingredient list. No surprises in those bottles!
- Mascara: SAVE. There are SO many great mascaras available at drugstores. I’ve always stood by Loreal, Rimmel, and Maybelline as brands, but the mascaras themselves I’ve switched up. No need to spend $40 on a mascara that you should throw out after 3 months anyways (additional time risks growing bacteria and hurting your eyes) I’m currently using Maybelline Lash Sensational, and Loreal Voluminous Carbon Black (Waterproof).
- Eye-shadow: SPLURGE. Splurge on one good palette that you like EVERY color. For me this was the Urban Decay NAKED palette. Four years later and it’s still going strong! I always get compliments on my eye-shadow. Be careful not to purchase any additional eye-shadows. That palette should be all you need. If you feel like something is missing, then move along and don’t buy the palette.
- Eyeshadow Primer: Splurge. They work so much better. I need to replace my Urban Decay Primer Potion in Sin because I have owned it a looooong time. I got it at the same time as my NAKED palette…oops.
- Face Powder: SAVE. There are a few great options at the drugstore. Rimmel Stay Matte, and Maybelliene Fit Me! have been what I’ve used for years. Always go one powder at a time. You only need one, I promise =)
- Eye Liner: SAVE. liquid liners have gotten better and better through the years. I am currently using Maybelliene Line Stiletto, which I really like. For years before I was using Loreal’s felt tip liquid liner. Both are great!
- Fragrance: SPLURGE. By this I mean don’t purchase at a drugstore. Those fragrances literally smell cheap and have terrible lasting power. Fragrance is tricky, so don’t rush into a purchase. My absolute life favorite was Forever Red Vanilla Rum from Bath and Body Works. The bottle happened to be 75% off without me knowing it so it was only $12, but that means the normal price was $48 which isn’t exactly cheap. I got lucky, except they discontinued the fragrance =( I also love Victoria’s Secret or Bath and Body Works’ body mists. It’s hard not to collect those like crazy, so try to purchase one at a time if you can! Those tend to be cheaper but serve a different purpose.
- Foundation/Concealer:DEPENDS. This will definitely need to be a personal choice based on what you are trying to accomplish with your foundation. If you have severe acne or pigmentation, you may need a high coverage, high end concealer. If you desire light to medium coverage, drugstore should do the trick. I use Sonia Kashuk’s Hidden Agenda Concealer Palette, and Maybelline Fit Me! Stick Foundation. I do plan on upgrading my concealer though because my dark circles have become very prominent since being pregnant. I don’t like heavy foundation so the stick foundation works great for me.
- Lipstick: SAVE. Revlon and Rimmel do great lipsticks! Check the internet for dupes of high end brand colors if you like. I personally love the Revlon lip butters =)
- Blush: SAVE. Every brand seems to have decent blushes. I always recommend YouTube as a guide for which to buy. I personally use a duo from ELF that is a blush/bronzer combo palette.
- Highlight: SAVE. Please, please do not spend $60 on a highlight powder. Save that money and go get a pedicure or massage. Buy yourself a nice champagne eye-shadow with fine shimmer. I love Rimmel’s eyeshadow in Royal Linen. I use this on the tops of my cheekbones, in the inner corner of my eye, under brows etc.
- Bronzer: SAVE. NYC Sunny, or my favorite is the half of my ELF duo.
Hmmm, this could go on and on, but I’ll be late for work if I don’t stop now:P